Install MailStore in just a few minutes on any Windows (or virtual) PC and immediately begin archiving emails.
Download Free 30-Day-Trial
Call us on 0161 660 5738 or send us an email.
Join a free webinar
Sit back and enjoy a guided tour in a live group session with one of our product experts.
Available for less than £270 ex. VAT for 5 users with discounts available on larger license sizes.
Full price list
System Requirements, Hardware Sizing and FAQ
Supported Email Servers and Internet Mailboxes
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2013 (including Windows Small Business Server)
- Hosted Exchange
- Microsoft Office 365 (Exchange Online)
- MDaemon Messaging Server
- IceWarp Mail Server
- Kerio Connect
- IMAP4-compatible email server
- POP3-compatible email server
- Internet and webmail inboxes such as Gmail or GMX (via IMAP or POP3)
- Full archiving of all emails as they are sent and received
- Archiving of existing mailboxes and files (manual or scheduled)
- Archiving of public folders (manual or scheduled) and shared mailboxes
Supported Email Clients
- Microsoft Outlook 2000, XP, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013
- Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0
- Microsoft Windows Mail
- Microsoft Windows Live Mail
- Mozilla Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Supported Email File Formats
- RFC822/MIME-compatible email files (.eml)
- PST files
- MSG files (Outlook format)
- MBOX files
Archiving Via the MailStore Proxy Server
Companies without an email server can automatically archive all incoming and outgoing email correspondence
via the MailStore proxy server (SMTP and POP3).
- No changes made to email servers and emails
- No administrative access to the email server required
- Folder structure of mailboxes is imported into the archive
- Size of mailboxes can be reduced through rule-based deletion
- Emails are archived in a MIME-compatible manner with no loss of information
Supported Access Methods
- MailStore add-in for Microsoft Outlook XP, 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2013; deployment via group policies is possible
- MailStore Web Access (access using any internet browser)
- MailStore Mobile Web Access: For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, BlackBerry, Google Android and Windows Phone
- MailStore IMAP Server (a user’s archive can be integrated into any IMAP-enabled device
or email program as a read-only mailbox)
- MailStore Client Software for Windows
- Fast full-text search of emails and file attachments
- Access is also possible via the folder structure
- Restore emails to the regular mailbox using one-click restore
- Reply or forward archived emails by opening them directly in Microsoft Outlook or another email client
- Access to the archives of other employees (based on assigned privileges)
- Stub files and other technologies with a negative performance impact on the email server are not used
- The end-user components are available in English, German, Dutch, French, Hungarian, Italian,
Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Turkish, and Chinese.
Standard Archive Store
Available immediately after setup is complete, this storage type is suitable for most
environments and requirements. Standard archive stores are created by MailStore Server in
the file system and do not require an external database management system or special
configuration steps. In practice, this allows for MailStore Server installations that
support more than a thousand archived mailboxes and the users who access them. A standard
archive store consists of the following components:
- Embedded database – Stores email metadata
- Container files - In these encrypted files with a “manageable” size of about 8 MB,
the actual email headers, content and attachments are stored
- Full-text indexes - These are created for each user and allow email and attachment
searches to be completed very quickly
Advanced Archive Store
Advanced archive stores allow the use of external database management systems (Microsoft
SQL Server and PostgreSQL) for data storage. This storage type is suitable for businesses
with an existing IT infrastructure containing these types of systems that they would like
to use for email archiving. Please note that the use of external DBMS is only an option,
not a requirement. From a performance and scalability aspect, standard archive stores as
described above work perfectly fine even for companies with thousands of users.
A MailStore email archive can be created from any number of standard or advanced archive
stores. You can, for example, create one archive store per quarter or year, or automatically
create a new store if the current one has reached a pre-set threshold. For the end user, the
archive store concept is completely transparent. The user works with one combined view on
the entire archive.
The distribution of the main archive into any number of independent archive stores allows
for flexible and, if necessary, hierarchical storage management.
Backups can be made using an integrated backup feature or third-party backup software.
MailStore Server optimizes data storage for incremental backups and supports Volume Shadow
Copy Service (VSS). Please refer to MailStore Help for details on VSS support.
In the event of damage or loss, an existing backup can be restored to a new MailStore
Server installation within minutes when standard archive stores are used. Since the backup
includes not only all archived emails but also all settings (such as users and permissions),
there will be minimal downtime; recovery is simply a matter of copying directories back in
the file system.
- Suitable for any volume of data and any number of users
- Lower storage requirements by using single instance archiving (duplicate content is
only archived once) and compression of file attachments.
- Tamper-proof through use of SHA1 hashes
- Internal AES256 encryption of email bodies and attachments
- Supports iSCSI, Fibre Channel, NAS, and SAN
Not a One Way Street
MailStore Server provides a number of export features that enable you to restore individual emails,
entire mailboxes, or all emails from an archive.
Supported Export Destinations
- Microsoft Exchange mailboxes
- Mailboxes from any email server (IMAP)
- Forwarding via SMTP
- Directory in file system (RFC822 EML, MSG, and PST files)
- Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, and Windows Mail
- Mozilla Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
- MailStore Server enables 100% complete archiving of all emails within the company.
- Archived emails are identical to the originals in every aspect.
- Retention periods can be enforced.
- Changes and events are logged via an integrated auditing feature in Windows event log.
- Auditor access possible via special "auditor" user type.
- Generation of SHA1 hash values from email content
- Internal AES256 encryption of email texts and attachments
- No direct access by MailStore client components to the archive files
- It is not possible to change email content, either in the graphical interface
or in the internal program.
- Automatic and immediate archiving of all emails as they are received and sent
prevents tampering before archiving via MailStore server
Long-Term Access to the Archive
MailStore Server is not tied to a proprietary file format. All archived emails can be exported in a single
step at any time in the standard RFC822 format, which has established itself over 25 years. The exported files
can be opened and edited in most email programs. In addition, MailStore Server offers many other export and
MailStore Server comes with a powerful HTTPS-based Management API. This API enables administrators and
developers to automate the MailStore Server management by using script or programming languages such as
C#, PHP or Python. Commands are sent via HTTP POST to the built-in API HTTPS server, return values are
sent back in JSON or XML format.
You can install the free 30-day trial version of MailStore Server in just a few minutes on any Windows (or virtual) PC and immediately begin archiving emails. No changes will be made to your email systems at any time.
Download Now - Free 30-Day-Trial
Existing MailStore user?